trailer for now...and add the camper <span class="highlight">tent</span> later?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 22:05
ThreadID: 80675 Views:4392 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have been exploring options for camper trailers for some time for me and three growing boys. Budget is tight and reality is setting in sadly. I'm still driving the old vp commodore and realistically won't be able to upgrade to 4wd for some time so figure it's time to really think about what we need (instead of just what we want). Am thinking that we won't be able to afford a camper trailer in time for Xmas but have a trip from melbourne to Adelaide (returning via Loxton) to visit the family....only family have moved and with a big get to gether planned we may need to bring the tent (and the xmas pressies etc). So am giving serious consideration to purchasing a trailer in time for Xmas with a view to turning it into a camper trailer down the track.

The question is what is involved in doing that? How does the tent section fit onto the trailer? is it really a viable plan? What should I be looking at in a trailer (considering the tow vehicle we will only be going onroad really)? any idea at how much a trailer would cost and how easy it is to get a tent section to fit later?

Jude
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 23:24

Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 23:24
some reasonable tents for campers on e-bay, check em out.... good for ideas..
All you need to do is get your head around what sort of trailer you want, if you are going to be towing it behind a 2wd car then you will only need a very basic 6x4 box trailer, you can get them pretty cheap brand new for around a grand, you buy the tent bit, buy some ply wood about 18 to 25mm for the bed base and bolt it all up...
Or do it our way, we have 3 kids, purchased a camper s/h about $7000 and just never liked it so sold it a month ago, we will be getting just a h/duty trailer with deep sides, few good locking boxes and 2 decent tents, 1 for me n mum and one for the kids, will have the table, cooking gear, chairs, eskys ect the same as we had to carry in the camper any way and we will then load it all in with our 4 wheel buggy (twister) and away we go, we can set up tents and explore in the buggy, we can just do quick camps with the tents and cruiser, just never liked the camper and we looked at hundreds of them as well, hence the going back to a basic trailer .....
Campers are expensive, if money is tight then stick to tents and you still need all the other gear and it is after all only the tent part ...
Go to a shop that sell campers and have a good look at them..
Cheers buddy, good luck
AnswerID: 427080

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 06:16

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 06:16
Jude, the tent tops bolt to the trailer, thru the ply bottom of the tent and the top web of the trailer side.. Most trailers would be suitable for this. Ebay can be a good place to look for trailers and tents, but for storage etc, you may want a trailer with higher sides, which may mean a custom made one. If you plan to use it later for offroad use, it maybe better to get one setup for that service now, rather than have to sell one to buy an other. Oztrail make a pretty good tent top and not too expensive.

I take it you are in Melbourne? If you are near Cranbourne and would like to look at a trailer I am building, tent top not on yet, it may make it easier to understand.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 427088

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 06:42

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 06:42
Hi Jude, we did exactly what you want to do some years ago. We wanted an off roader so we brought a 7x4 with 500mm side trailer. I had a torneau cover made for it as we were not getting the tent for some time. When we were ready for the tent I found a camper trailer company how made the whole top for us at a cost of $4300, that included the mattress, awning , poles, ropes and pegs etc, it was made by a reputable company. So in the end I think it cost us $5500. I brought a caravan water tank which I put in side the trailer.
AnswerID: 427090

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:49

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:49
If you really need a trailer and want to save some coin prior to purchasing a Camper Trailer maybe hire one initially for the Christmas run.
If you do end up going to the Pyrenees Gathering in November you may get some great ideas from other EO folk in regards to trailer set ups for camping.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 427093

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:09

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:09
Hey, Jude,....(sorry)..old beatles fan...just couldnt help myself..
Some good advice above...you need to decide if an onroad 6 by 4 trailer will meet
your needs as it is the cheaper option. You can add a camper top at a later date.
Storage is limited when compared with a high side trailer...50cms..the usual size
for an offroad type is 7 by 4. Probably cost around $2 k. Camper tops available
for this trailer too. I bought a trailer & added an Oztrail top, the all up cost less
than $4.5 k. It is relatively simple to bolt the top to the trailer & you and a helpful
handyman type will handle it, or you could look for a used camper. There are many around..have a look on eBay as a guide. The suggestion to hire one & see
how it suits you is a good one, ,you may need to move fast to get one for Xmas.
cheers....oldbaz.

AnswerID: 427099

Reply By: Jude&theboys - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:42

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:42
thanks everyone - have been haunting ebay for months now so have an idea of what is going on but have been dreaming of buying one for months and reality is setting in - budget not as good as it was since I am no longer working (studying instead - which will benefit the budget in the long run). I had thought about hiring a trailer for the xmas trip and will look into it but as we will be gone for around 2 weeks I figured that hire would get quite pricey and may be better to invest in a trailer. Lets face it a trailer is always going to be a handy thing to own, I used to be able to borrow one regurlarly but not these days.

the main thing was how they went together and if we needed to look at anything special to put them together.

I have thought long and hard about the onroad/offroad bit and realistically (with me just starting a course I anticipate will take me 5 years) I reckon we are at LEAST 5 years away from being able to upgrade to a 4wd (hopefully the commodore continues to serve us well in the mean time) so I reckon that we might just look at an onroad one for now and look to replace it later, am sure we will get our moneys worth in the mean time....sometimes we have to be realistic at what we want Vs what we can afford unfortunately.

so looking for a 4x6 trailer with high (50mm) sides then (and then will need to learn to reverse with the bloody thing)!

Jude
oh and yes in Melbourne but other side - Cranbourne - if you are putting the camper part on is there any chance that someone could take some pics as you do it?
AnswerID: 427101

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:32

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:32
Hi Jude,
Thats what we did, we watched eBay for months & months, got a feel for what people were paying for what.
We purchased a top, we didn't need a trailer, already had a 7x4 with a pull out kitchen, water tank, Tool box, all we needed to do was to buy a top. Finished Camper, BTW, the blue tarp is only a dust cover, Sorry I don't have any pics of the hinges,
We bought one, I Had to raise the side wall up[ about 230mm for the bed to sit at the right height and hinge the top, added struts to help lift it, latches to lock it down with
You can buy all the bits from a seller on eBay, From hand brakes to wheels.
Our camping has changed over the years to suit our family as it has grown.
I'm sure other will have other ideas as well.
Good luck with it all.

FollowupID: 697713

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:23

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:23
www.trailerdeals.com.au
AnswerID: 427119

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:07

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:07
My first camper trailer was like this. Worked fine. We used turnbuckles to secure the top to the trailer. This was easier than using bolts and much easier to line up when dropping the top onto the trailer. We set up 4 small block and tackles, one in each corner, to raise the tent on its heavy ply base, up into the roof of the garage. This enabled us to use the trailer asa trailer when required and dropping the top down and securibg the turnbucles was pretty simple.
This is a bit quick as an explanation. If it is of interest, let me know and I will answer in more detail.
AnswerID: 427147

Sponsored Links